Hey again folks!
Fandom is holding another edition of The Downstream on Friday, September 10 at 11am EST.
This 2-hour event is held on Twitch at https://twitch.tv/Fandom and is a bit like a mini Community Connect 4 times a year. Fandom staff brief viewers on what is happening on Fandom, with the latest news and updates.
In this edition, guests include:
- Joey Merkel, Director of Social Strategy & Operations, who will be presenting on how Fandom approaches social media and answering questions about how admins can manage social media accounts for their wikis.
- Maggie Owens, Sr. Analyst - Site Analytics, who will be explaining how Fandom tracks traffic trends on the platform and connects them to external events, like how the Spider-Man trailer caused cert…
FandomDesktop is available for users to opt-in and test NOW!
To access the new skin, you need to do the following:
- Go to Special:Preferences
- Click "Appearance"
- Click "FandomDesktop"
- Click any FandomDesktop preferences you want such as light/dark mode, content width, and right rail
- Click "Save"!
There you go, you're on the new skin! Now not all wikis will have theming set up and templates may look different. To help with this, there is a Preparation Guide to help admins prepare their wikis. Admins - if you have any issues - please do contact me via my wall or on Discord at Spongebob456#7402. You can test out the new Theme Designer and if you feel your wiki is ready to be fully migrated to FandomDesktop, there is a button to mark it as such in…
Today Fandom hosted The Downstream where they offered news extended from coverage from Community Connect.
This included news on:
- The FandomDesktop (UCX) design
- An appearance by a representative at Fanatical
- An appearance by a representative for branding at Fandom
- SEO and UCX
- Trust and Safety
Here is a link to where you can watch the video!
Feel free to comment below with thoughts, questions, and comments! :) --Spongebob456 talk 18:47, 28 May 2021 (UTC)
In 2021, Fandom is releasing a new, redesigned skin called FandomDesktop. We have been reaching out in order to help communities prepare for the change, but also so they can offer feedback.
I have more to show you, this time about Navigation for desktop users on the new skin. We have new looks at Search, Profile submenu, and Notifications.
Feel free to check them out!
What do you think of these? What do you like/dislike? Would you change anything? Please comment below and the more feedback we receive, the more areas we can give extra attention to. Thanks! --Spongebob456 talk
Fandom posted a preview of the new Fandom desktop experience, called FandomDesktop.
The blog outlines some areas which are seeing significant changes such as:
- Native support for Light and Dark mode
- Flexible content area width
- Collapsible right rail
- Redesigned editor toolbar
- And more!
We really want your feedback, both good and bad, so please feel free to fire away! If we know of your concerns beforehand, we can pass that on so those areas can receive extra attention, to help the transition go as smooth as possible.
What do you think of FandomDesktop? Do you have any concerns/highlights? How do you feel it will impact the community?
Comment below! :) --Spongebob456 talk 13:21, 28 March 2021 (UTC)